The Hydraulic Institute (HI) has released its latest CD containing the full set of 31 ANSI/HI pump standards. CD Version 3.1 is intended to be a portable and convenient resource and can be ordered at the trade group’s web store.
Included in the latest CD is, among the 31 standards, are four updated standards and one new standard:
- ANSI/HI 7.6: Controlled-Volume Metering Pumps for Test
- ANSI/HI 9.8: Intake Design for Rotodynamic Pumps
- ANSI/HI 9.6.1: Rotodynamic Pumps Guideline for NPSH Margin (more below)
- ANSI/HI 9.6.3: Rotodynamic (Centrifugal and Vertical) Pumps – Guideline for Allowable Operating Region
- ANSI/HI 11.6: Rotodynamic Submersible Pumps for Hydraulic Performance, Hydrostatic Pressure, Mechanical, and Electrical Acceptance Tests
The HI disc features searchable PDF files, hypertext links from indexes to each standard, section, and page; bookmarks; and annotations. HI is charging $1,200 for the reference tool, noting that the price “represents significant savings over purchasing standards individually.” The new CD can be ordered at the HI e-store.
Those who own Version 3.0 can upgrade to the latest version for $100. Only Version 3.0 can be upgraded to the Version 3.1, and only users of Version 2.2 can upgrade to Version 3.0 via download at the HI e-store. Version 2.0/2.1 users who wish to upgrade must contact Publications@Pumps.org for assistance. There is a 25 percent HI member discount.
HI’s latest standard update is ANSI/HI 9.6.1, for rotodynamic pumps for net positive suction head, or NPSH, margin. It covers general-purpose rotodynamic pumps up to 5,300 hp and impeller tip speeds less than 130 ft/s, describing the benefits to pump longevity of maintaining NPSH margin.
HI intends the publication as a tutorial and guidance on NPSH. ANSI/HI 9.6.1 discusses impeller inlet tip speed, large versus smaller impeller eye diameter, suction-specific speed, pumpage characteristics, and materials of construction and cavitation resistance, among other issues. The guideline is priced individually at $80 at the HI e-store.