Machine tool company MAG’s new large-scale vertical turning centers are close to entering the market, according to Product Design and Development. The VTC 5000 has been scaled up considerably from earlier VTC’s, capable of supporting loads up to 150,000 kg (330,000 lb) and turning at a rate of up to 75 rpm.
Other technical specs include:
- The VTCs in the series weigh over 25,000 kg (50,000 lb)
- The hydrostatic table manufactured for the VTC 5000 can be 5 to 8 meters long
- Power capabilities feature S1 (continuous duty) table power of 200 kW (267 hp)
- The series is adaptable to tooling for grinding, milling, drilling and tapping operations
- All models are modular, with variations available depending on customer need.
“North American manufacturers in nuclear and wind energy, mining and construction are all scaling up their equipment. We are taking our product development in that same direction,” Helene Nimmer, MAG’s director of proposals and product management, said in a release.
The first VTC 5000 is soon to ship from Fond du Lac, Wis., to a U.S. power generation equipment manufacturer.