The first project of the recently unveiled Digital Manufacturing Design and Innovation Institute is the creation of the Digital Manufacturing Commons. It is an open-source collaboration tool that will bring design and manufacturing partners together more easily. [Read More...]
Businesses are starting to take advantage of real-time logistics visibility, such as traffic avoidance and delivery resequencing. But that's the tip of the iceberg of possibilities being dreamed by the convergence of Big Data, predictive analytics, wearable computing, and the Internet of Things. [Read More...]
The growing complexity of subsystems within products will spur evolution from document-based systems engineering to the model-based approach. MBSE software will ease integrated, concurrent development of mechanical function, embedded electronics, etc, in the product design cycle. [Read More...]
Vulnerability management is a fact of life for business organizations. Companies have to monitor the behavior of its people, but cloud computing and mobile devices are introducing threats that need to be mitigated. [Read More...]
Software-defined networking is unlocking networking functionality from hardware and devices to enable managers and architects to deploy routing and switching of their own will and write their own programs. [Read More...]
Distribution and supply managers are always worried about both inventory carrying costs and stock shortages. Increasingly complex manufacturing supply chains, though, are calling for a balanced approach through inventory optimization. [Read More...]
Collaboration technologies are allowing employees to communicate in real time and work together more easily across enterprises of all sizes. But research suggests that many companies are lagging behind in taking advantage of such tools and the potential they promise for organizational effectiveness. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are already starting to take advantage of machine-to-machine communications, using gathered data analytics for predictive machine maintenance. The eventual pinnacle is completely automated plant floors that self-adjust to conditions, customize products, and optimize energy usage. [Read More...]
It is obviously incumbent to have good software and system integration for good manufacturing operations management. But the best manufacturers at MOM are driven by staff who execute continuous improvement practices. [Read More...]
A series of manufacturing research hubs that the Obama administration wants to establish aims to speed the development of advanced, cutting-edge manufacturing and automation technologies and production techniques. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- Industry Crib Sheet: Consumer Spending Dips in July but Confidence Soars
- The Light Side: ‘It’s the Hotel, Our Robot Has Arrived with Your Towels’
- Performance Management: Grasp the Big-Picture Metrics
- How Supply Chain Financing Is Changing Buyer-Supplier Relationships
- Automotive Plastics Growth Benefits from Design, Regulatory Trends
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Microsoft Defies Judge's Order to Turn Over Foreign Stored Emails - The VAR Guy
- Business Technology Summit agenda set for Oct. 29 event - The Clermont Sun
- Sign up for Data Sheet, Fortune's new business technology newsletter - Fortune
- Yelp CEO reviews his own business after 10 years - The Seattle Times
- The Evolving Role of Savvy Business Technology Leaders - SYS-CON Media (press release)
- Longtime Tech Journalist Anand Shimpi Heads to Apple - The VAR Guy
- Indian, Chinese SMEs to Come Together for Business, Technology - Outlook
- NASA chooses two dozen small business technology proposals with potential to ... - FierceGovernmentIT
- AT&T Merges Mobility, Enterprise Unit, Names New Boss - The VAR Guy
- Keil Hubert: Less Disco, More Waffles - Business Technology