Google Glass could become ubiquitous in corporate corridors, but it’s also likely to become a familiar sight on shop floors, near assembly lines, in labs, and on loading docks. One app currently in development allows users to see inside factory machines to help diagnose problems and aid in troubleshooting and maintenance. [Read More...]
The growth of additive manufacturing, remote diagnostics, and data-gathering "smart products" will have a profound impact on manufacturing as we know it, according to experts. [Read More...]
Data centers consume 2 percent of the world's energy. A global consortium of IT organizations called the Open Data Center Alliance (ODCA) is promoting an open and standard approach for measuring the carbon footprint of services provided from the cloud. [Read More...]
Nailing down the return on investment (ROI) for a data visualization initiative is difficult. The key is to view these tools in terms of the business benefit, business productivity, and IT efficiency. [Read More...]
As more businesses get ready to embrace the Industrial Internet, a question arises as to whether their IT staffs are prepared to tackle the challenge. Furthermore, what IT resources do manufacturers need to bring the Industrial Internet into their plants? [Read More...]
At its core, data visualization is based on a strikingly simple proposition -- it’s easier to see connections, relationships, and trends when they’re graphically displayed than it is to stare at a bunch of numbers. That realization has created such a demand for data visualization products that it has sparked an “arms race” among the makers of the technology. [Read More...]
Workers toting laptops, smartphones, or tablets can access needed information no matter where they are, using 4G or Wi-Fi, be it at a client’s location, on the road, or even at home. It gives workers what they need to do their jobs more effectively. But many businesses, strapped with budget constraints, are hitting the wall, with suddenly overburdened servers and wide area networks (WAN). [Read More...]
There is a lot of advice out there for professionals traveling overseas -- or even domestically -- on how to protect their data, particularly mobile data. Here is a rundown of some of the most important advice. [Read More...]
It’s just about impossible to find a business that isn’t heavily dependent on computers, data, and software applications. Given the various risks that can cause critical information to disappear -- cyber-attack, natural disaster, computer virus, or coffee accidentally spilled into a laptop -- it is essential to have a strategy to back up computers and servers. [Read More...]
The problems associated with the somewhat disastrous launch of the Affordable Care Act website serve as a sobering reminder of the challenges involved in the oversight of large and complex software projects. Companies that use effective resource management can avoid the kinds of catastrophic schedule slip that afforded too little time for testing the ACA website. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- The Light Side: Have No Fear, the Science Brigade Is Here
- Inside Daimler’s CAD Switch from Dassault to Siemens
- Rise of the Machines: Industrial Machinery Market Growth to Double in 2014
- Industrial Automation Equipment to See Stronger Growth in 2014 after Two Mediocre Years
- Editor’s Note: The Race to Tomorrow Is On
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Digital disruption is changing business, but technology isn't the only answer - The Next Web
- Antibody-Drug Conjugates 2014: A Business, Technology & Pipeline Analysis - PR Newswire (press release)
- For Small Business, Technology Is Creating, Not Costing, Jobs - Huffington Post
- Technology firms - The Economist
- Planet Business - Irish Times
- Tensions Between IT and Business Leaders Forcing Changes in Enterprise ... - Techzone360
- Google Q1 Revenue, Earnings Miss--Stung by Nest, Motorola - The VAR Guy
- Small Manufacturers and Wholesalers Surveyed Say Business Technology is ... - The Herald | HeraldOnline.com (press release)
- 20 years of honoring innovation: Business & Technology honorees announced - Pacific Coast Business Times
- Technology showcase links researchers, business - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle