Bring-your-own-device is proliferating among floor personnel in factories, allowing them to monitor manufacturing processes on their personal devices. But with convenience and greater productivity comes security concerns and managing diverse operating systems. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are diving into Big Data to sharpen their decision-making. However, they are getting subpar results from being unable to break down the organizational silos that undermine their efforts to extract the most value out of their data. [Read More...]
GE's Brian Courtney is a bit like an explorer in the newly discovered, uncharted territory of industrial Big Data. After all, what engineer wouldn't want to know what was happening with every piece of equipment on the assembly line or every product unit in service out in the field every day? [Read More...]
Once upon a time, manufacturers didn’t worry very much about the security of their machinery and processes beyond simply locking the doors. Today, of course, more and more equipment is networked to enable information sharing. [Read More...]
Google Glass could become ubiquitous in corporate corridors, but it’s also likely to become a familiar sight on shop floors, near assembly lines, in labs, and on loading docks. One app currently in development allows users to see inside factory machines to help diagnose problems and aid in troubleshooting and maintenance. [Read More...]
Workers toting laptops, smartphones, or tablets can access needed information no matter where they are, using 4G or Wi-Fi, be it at a client’s location, on the road, or even at home. It gives workers what they need to do their jobs more effectively. But many businesses, strapped with budget constraints, are hitting the wall, with suddenly overburdened servers and wide area networks (WAN). [Read More...]
There is a lot of advice out there for professionals traveling overseas -- or even domestically -- on how to protect their data, particularly mobile data. Here is a rundown of some of the most important advice. [Read More...]
The market for wearable tech is expected to grow from $9 billion last year to $30 billion by 2018, according to Shane Walker at IHS Global Insights. Perhaps the biggest market for Google Glass is the business sector. [Read More...]
Does the manufacturing industry have anything to gain from the adoption of mobile devices and apps? Absolutely. “The manufacturing industry, in particular, is well-suited for mobility, as it includes a complex value chain and processes with multiple interactions...” [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- Inside Daimler’s CAD Switch from Dassault to Siemens
- Rise of the Machines: Industrial Machinery Market Growth to Double in 2014
- Industrial Automation Equipment to See Stronger Growth in 2014 after Two Mediocre Years
- Editor’s Note: The Race to Tomorrow Is On
- What’s Next for the North American Packaging Market?
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Digital disruption is changing business, but technology isn't the only answer - The Next Web
- For Small Business, Technology Is Creating, Not Costing, Jobs - Huffington Post
- Technology firms - The Economist
- Tensions Between IT and Business Leadership Force New Approach to ... - IT Business Edge
- Planet Business - Irish Times
- Small Manufacturers and Wholesalers Surveyed Say Business Technology is ... - The Herald | HeraldOnline.com (press release)
- Microsoft OS Chief Myerson: Desktop, Touch Key to Future Plans - The VAR Guy
- Technology showcase links researchers, business - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
- Agro Biosciences expanding Milwaukee County Research Park lab space - Milwaukee Business Journal
- Business Technology Spending on the Rise - Midsize Insider