From detailed, hands-free machine diagnostic walk-throughs to capturing real-time, in-cycle machine data, digital manufacturing is hinging on wearable technology tools like Google Glass. The cutting-edge form factor will also have applications in related areas such as warehousing and maintenance. [Read More...]
Intelligent part numbers, containing identifiable descriptors, have helped manufacturers speed up their work. Ironically, they now could be an archaic drag on productivity in today's environment of fast design and product changes and computerized PLM. [Read More...]
Enterprise quality management systems connect the usually isolated four major functional areas of an organization -- R&D, manufacturing, suppliers, and service -- to provide visibility for managing complex value chains. [Read More...]
Technology-enabled product tracking and tracing capabilities are becoming must-haves as supply chains have grown more and more complex. They help protect manufacturers and minimize risk impact. [Read More...]
Data-driven manufacturing is generally being linked with equipment effectiveness, but it can also show a company whether what it is making is making money. It comes down to profit per hour. [Read More...]
The push in data-driven manufacturing can extend to energy metering. Electricity meters positioned on the shop floor are realizing cost benefits. [Read More...]
Organizations operating under stringent regulatory compliance and quality management require air-tight document management solutions. Anything less and companies suffer inefficiencies, redundancies, and ultimately risk to the business. [Read More...]
Getting data from manufacturing machinery and tying it to enterprise systems allows organizations to get production insights. Doing this for disparate, legacy machines has been a conundrum, but the MTConnect protocol is a promising answer. [Read More...]
Okuma, a CNC machinery maker, established Partners in THINC to include competing suppliers of shop-floor productivity solutions. This seemingly unconventional move spurs open-platform development while reinforcing Okuma as a problem-solver for its customers. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are already starting to take advantage of machine-to-machine communications, using gathered data analytics for predictive machine maintenance. The eventual pinnacle is completely automated plant floors that self-adjust to conditions, customize products, and optimize energy usage. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- Editor’s Note: Pardon the Interruption
- Smart Companies Leverage Green Supply Chains for Competitive Benefits
- Industry Crib Sheet: Consumer Spending Dips in July but Confidence Soars
- The Light Side: ‘It’s the Hotel, Our Robot Has Arrived with Your Towels’
- Performance Management: Grasp the Big-Picture Metrics
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- The evolving role of savvy business technology leaders - CloudTech
- Top 5 Retailers to Work For - RIS News (blog)
- Microsoft Defies Judge's Order to Turn Over Foreign Stored Emails - The VAR Guy
- Business Technology Summit agenda set for Oct. 29 event - The Clermont Sun
- Firms will spend over £40 billion on information security this year - Business Technology
- New iPhone 6 could have built-in mobile payments system - Business Technology
- Sign up for Data Sheet, Fortune's new business technology newsletter - Fortune
- The Future of Engagement: Wearable Tech - RIS News (blog)
- Longtime Tech Journalist Anand Shimpi Heads to Apple - The VAR Guy
- Yelp CEO reviews his own business after 10 years - The Seattle Times