General Motors is nearing completion of its groundbreaking effort to bring its U.S. IT resources in-house, in an initiative that is expected to reduce costs and bring IT operations in closer alignment with the business. [Read More...]
The first project of the recently unveiled Digital Manufacturing Design and Innovation Institute is the creation of the Digital Manufacturing Commons. It is an open-source collaboration tool that will bring design and manufacturing partners together more easily. [Read More...]
Businesses are starting to take advantage of real-time logistics visibility, such as traffic avoidance and delivery resequencing. But that's the tip of the iceberg of possibilities being dreamed by the convergence of Big Data, predictive analytics, wearable computing, and the Internet of Things. [Read More...]
The growing complexity of subsystems within products will spur evolution from document-based systems engineering to the model-based approach. MBSE software will ease integrated, concurrent development of mechanical function, embedded electronics, etc, in the product design cycle. [Read More...]
Vulnerability management is a fact of life for business organizations. Companies have to monitor the behavior of its people, but cloud computing and mobile devices are introducing threats that need to be mitigated. [Read More...]
Distribution and supply managers are always worried about both inventory carrying costs and stock shortages. Increasingly complex manufacturing supply chains, though, are calling for a balanced approach through inventory optimization. [Read More...]
Collaboration technologies are allowing employees to communicate in real time and work together more easily across enterprises of all sizes. But research suggests that many companies are lagging behind in taking advantage of such tools and the potential they promise for organizational effectiveness. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are already starting to take advantage of machine-to-machine communications, using gathered data analytics for predictive machine maintenance. The eventual pinnacle is completely automated plant floors that self-adjust to conditions, customize products, and optimize energy usage. [Read More...]
It is obviously incumbent to have good software and system integration for good manufacturing operations management. But the best manufacturers at MOM are driven by staff who execute continuous improvement practices. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are diving into Big Data to sharpen their decision-making. However, they are getting subpar results from being unable to break down the organizational silos that undermine their efforts to extract the most value out of their data. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- The Light Side: Have No Fear, the Science Brigade Is Here
- Inside Daimler’s CAD Switch from Dassault to Siemens
- Rise of the Machines: Industrial Machinery Market Growth to Double in 2014
- Industrial Automation Equipment to See Stronger Growth in 2014 after Two Mediocre Years
- Editor’s Note: The Race to Tomorrow Is On
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Technology consultant shares tips - Killeen Daily Herald
- Digital disruption is changing business, but technology isn't the only answer - The Next Web
- Technology playing bigger roll in consumers' restaurant choices - Tulsa World
- For Small Business, Technology Is Creating, Not Costing, Jobs - Huffington Post
- Antibody-Drug Conjugates 2014: A Business, Technology & Pipeline Analysis - Emag.co.uk
- Technology firms - The Economist
- Tensions Between IT and Business Leadership Force New Approach to ... - IT Business Edge
- The smartphone comes of age - Business Technology
- Small Manufacturers and Wholesalers Surveyed Say Business Technology is ... - The Herald | HeraldOnline.com (press release)
- Business agenda - Washington Post