The first project of the recently unveiled Digital Manufacturing Design and Innovation Institute is the creation of the Digital Manufacturing Commons. It is an open-source collaboration tool that will bring design and manufacturing partners together more easily. [Read More...]
Vulnerability management is a fact of life for business organizations. Companies have to monitor the behavior of its people, but cloud computing and mobile devices are introducing threats that need to be mitigated. [Read More...]
Collaboration technologies are allowing employees to communicate in real time and work together more easily across enterprises of all sizes. But research suggests that many companies are lagging behind in taking advantage of such tools and the potential they promise for organizational effectiveness. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are already starting to take advantage of machine-to-machine communications, using gathered data analytics for predictive machine maintenance. The eventual pinnacle is completely automated plant floors that self-adjust to conditions, customize products, and optimize energy usage. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are diving into Big Data to sharpen their decision-making. However, they are getting subpar results from being unable to break down the organizational silos that undermine their efforts to extract the most value out of their data. [Read More...]
The majority of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems are installed on-premises and maintained by in-house IT personnel. However, ERP solutions are increasingly being offered in the cloud, and manufacturers are finding multiple advantages from the software-as-a-service (SaaS) model. [Read More...]
Data centers consume 2 percent of the world's energy. A global consortium of IT organizations called the Open Data Center Alliance (ODCA) is promoting an open and standard approach for measuring the carbon footprint of services provided from the cloud. [Read More...]
It’s just about impossible to find a business that isn’t heavily dependent on computers, data, and software applications. Given the various risks that can cause critical information to disappear -- cyber-attack, natural disaster, computer virus, or coffee accidentally spilled into a laptop -- it is essential to have a strategy to back up computers and servers. [Read More...]
Xerox is a company transforming itself from a developer and manufacturer of copiers and printers into a provider of services and solutions. Throughout the transformation, they have attempted to retain the tradition of technological innovation that has been a hallmark of the company since its inception. [Read More...]
A recent survey by MintJutras found that software-as-a-service (SaaS) systems will comprise 45 percent of all software used at manufacturing companies by 2023. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- AMT Viewpoint: Machinery Investment Is Primed for Growth
- Trade Show Preview: Divide and Conquer for IMTS Success
- Increasingly Dense Mobile Devices Present Cooling Challenges in Product Design
- Industrial Robotics Move from Safety Emphasis to Advanced Tasks
- Industry Crib Sheet: Industrial Production Has a Healthy March
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Report: Region's tech employment, pay on upswing - Pittsburgh Business Times (blog)
- Flash Memory Pure Storage Lands $225 Million in Venture Round - The VAR Guy
- Digital disruption is changing business, but technology isn't the only answer - The Next Web
- Supreme Court to decide on Aereo, an obscure start-up that could reshape the ... - Washington Post
- LifeSize Offers Zero Percent Financing for Videoconferencing Wares - The VAR Guy
- Dimension Data to grow data centre business - BDlive
- Integrating risk and finance: the technology is ready, are you? - Business Technology
- For Small Business, Technology Is Creating, Not Costing, Jobs - Huffington Post
- Want to Improve Your Email Lead-Gen? Avoid These Mistakes - The VAR Guy
- Amazon snares classic shows in deal with HBO - The Seattle Times