From detailed, hands-free machine diagnostic walk-throughs to capturing real-time, in-cycle machine data, digital manufacturing is hinging on wearable technology tools like Google Glass. The cutting-edge form factor will also have applications in related areas such as warehousing and maintenance. [Read More...]
Manufacturers don't usually focus on efficiency improvements other than at their machinery, work-cell, or production-line levels hence their lack of uptake in smart building systems. But they can still reap back-office benefits. [Read More...]
Enterprise quality management systems connect the usually isolated four major functional areas of an organization -- R&D, manufacturing, suppliers, and service -- to provide visibility for managing complex value chains. [Read More...]
Enterprise-wide quality software, handling centralized data collection, document management, and customer issues, among other functions, is redefining manufacturing quality. [Read More...]
Data-driven manufacturing is generally being linked with equipment effectiveness, but it can also show a company whether what it is making is making money. It comes down to profit per hour. [Read More...]
The push in data-driven manufacturing can extend to energy metering. Electricity meters positioned on the shop floor are realizing cost benefits. [Read More...]
Core capital equipment, that is. Industry experts say smart meters and dedicated software provide the fine-grained resolution needed to correlate energy use with particular machinery and product manufacturing and make "direct-cost" adjustments. [Read More...]
Getting data from manufacturing machinery and tying it to enterprise systems allows organizations to get production insights. Doing this for disparate, legacy machines has been a conundrum, but the MTConnect protocol is a promising answer. [Read More...]
Experts are saying Big Data and predictive analytics will be game-changing for human resources professionals looking to become more strategic for their organizations. [Read More...]
The first project of the recently unveiled Digital Manufacturing Design and Innovation Institute is the creation of the Digital Manufacturing Commons. It is an open-source collaboration tool that will bring design and manufacturing partners together more easily. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- Industry Crib Sheet: Consumer Spending Dips in July but Confidence Soars
- The Light Side: ‘It’s the Hotel, Our Robot Has Arrived with Your Towels’
- Performance Management: Grasp the Big-Picture Metrics
- How Supply Chain Financing Is Changing Buyer-Supplier Relationships
- Automotive Plastics Growth Benefits from Design, Regulatory Trends
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Microsoft Defies Judge's Order to Turn Over Foreign Stored Emails - The VAR Guy
- Business Technology Summit agenda set for Oct. 29 event - The Clermont Sun
- Sign up for Data Sheet, Fortune's new business technology newsletter - Fortune
- Yelp CEO reviews his own business after 10 years - The Seattle Times
- The Evolving Role of Savvy Business Technology Leaders - SYS-CON Media (press release)
- Longtime Tech Journalist Anand Shimpi Heads to Apple - The VAR Guy
- Indian, Chinese SMEs to Come Together for Business, Technology - Outlook
- NASA chooses two dozen small business technology proposals with potential to ... - FierceGovernmentIT
- AT&T Merges Mobility, Enterprise Unit, Names New Boss - The VAR Guy
- Keil Hubert: Less Disco, More Waffles - Business Technology