The first project of the recently unveiled Digital Manufacturing Design and Innovation Institute is the creation of the Digital Manufacturing Commons. It is an open-source collaboration tool that will bring design and manufacturing partners together more easily. [Read More...]
Businesses are starting to take advantage of real-time logistics visibility, such as traffic avoidance and delivery resequencing. But that's the tip of the iceberg of possibilities being dreamed by the convergence of Big Data, predictive analytics, wearable computing, and the Internet of Things. [Read More...]
The growing complexity of subsystems within products will spur evolution from document-based systems engineering to the model-based approach. MBSE software will ease integrated, concurrent development of mechanical function, embedded electronics, etc, in the product design cycle. [Read More...]
Distribution and supply managers are always worried about both inventory carrying costs and stock shortages. Increasingly complex manufacturing supply chains, though, are calling for a balanced approach through inventory optimization. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are already starting to take advantage of machine-to-machine communications, using gathered data analytics for predictive machine maintenance. The eventual pinnacle is completely automated plant floors that self-adjust to conditions, customize products, and optimize energy usage. [Read More...]
It is obviously incumbent to have good software and system integration for good manufacturing operations management. But the best manufacturers at MOM are driven by staff who execute continuous improvement practices. [Read More...]
Bring-your-own-device is proliferating among floor personnel in factories, allowing them to monitor manufacturing processes on their personal devices. But with convenience and greater productivity comes security concerns and managing diverse operating systems. [Read More...]
Manufacturers are diving into Big Data to sharpen their decision-making. However, they are getting subpar results from being unable to break down the organizational silos that undermine their efforts to extract the most value out of their data. [Read More...]
The growth of additive manufacturing, remote diagnostics, and data-gathering "smart products" will have a profound impact on manufacturing as we know it, according to experts. [Read More...]
LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING?
Let's make it easier.
Have the news come to you.
Sign up for our Tech Trends Journal
Newsletter and never miss an important story.
Industry Market Trends
- The Light Side: Have No Fear, the Science Brigade Is Here
- Inside Daimler’s CAD Switch from Dassault to Siemens
- Rise of the Machines: Industrial Machinery Market Growth to Double in 2014
- Industrial Automation Equipment to See Stronger Growth in 2014 after Two Mediocre Years
- Editor’s Note: The Race to Tomorrow Is On
From Around The Web Recent
From Around The Web
- Digital disruption is changing business, but technology isn't the only answer - The Next Web
- Technology consultant shares tips - Killeen Daily Herald
- For Small Business, Technology Is Creating, Not Costing, Jobs - Huffington Post
- Technology playing bigger roll in consumers' restaurant choices - Tulsa World
- Boardrooms must be more aware of cyber crime issues - Business Technology
- Antibody-Drug Conjugates 2014: A Business, Technology & Pipeline Analysis - PR Newswire (press release)
- Technology firms - The Economist
- Tensions Between IT and Business Leadership Force New Approach to ... - IT Business Edge
- Small Manufacturers and Wholesalers Surveyed Say Business Technology is ... - The Herald | HeraldOnline.com (press release)
- Technology showcase links researchers, business - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle